Time flies when you love your work and make a difference for so many. I…
I sat across the table from a very successful business leader at a casual lunch. He expressed confidence that the services previously offered by True Course were very important to his business – the survival of his business. He enumerated several services he now wants and needs to access now but fails to initiate action on them. My curiosity sparked, and I asked, “May I ask a question?” “Sure,” he replied. Here’s the question, “When you are confident things like this are the right thing to do, what keeps you from doing it?”
***Click here to listen to this article through our Discover Your True Course Podcast channel.
My experience tells me that people often know what to do but don’t do it. They may know this from experience or even common sense. Remember that common sense is not so common* and, even when present, is not commonly used. Various other influences leave them stuck with excuses and inactive in doing what can help most.
Professionals, business leaders, managers, and clergy who know the importance of personal and professional development tell me they aren’t providing it for themselves, their teams, and their organizations. Here’s a list of 12 typical reasons I’ve heard for not accessing it, compiled from various unique interactions through the years (with fun notes on body language accompanying the responses).
- What makes these changes a challenge for you?
- What would it be like to hold on to excitement for the future and your fear at the same time?
- What do you have invested in continuing with this approach?
- When could “not getting into coaching” become a problem for you?
- What assumptions are you making about team performance? Individual performance?
- What is the impact of this thinking on your employees?
- What is this situation saying about your leadership commitments? Actions?
- What will happen if this continues?
5. Their expressed values indicate they are concerned about the bottom line and not so concerned about the employees’ personal development.
- How has your focus affected employee engagement? Talent retention?
- What belief do you hold that keeps your focus as it is?
- What would “crazy” or “something wrong” look like?
- What is another way of looking at this?
- How does this align with your interest in being a model and pacesetter for your people?
- What would it take to treat yourself like one of your best employees or best clients?
8. Have you given any thought to your coaching? Sure, I think about it all the time. I need it. I just can’t get around to it.
- What do you need to put in place to accomplish this?
- What will be the signs that things can’t stay the way they are?
- How are you preparing for your future? Future of your business?
- What part of your potential are you ignoring?
- Using your imagination, how might coaching benefit you?
- If you did think about it, what would you want to know? Not know?
- What message are the budgeting allocations sending to your employees?
- What does your budget reveal about company priorities?
- What is the message this sends the organization? Is this the message you want to send?
- How will this affect employee engagement and talent retention?
Try going back through the list and tick-mark the items that most represent your reasons for not accessing development opportunities for yourself, your teams, or your organization.
When it comes to doing what you know is best, it’s easier to do nothing and go with the flow of what life may bring. This inaction lays the groundwork for weak outcomes and a disappointing future. You may regret not taking steps to improve relationships, help others grow, and become a person others like to be around.
The work of True Course is a valuable and proven guide for business leaders, professionals, and organizations who access it. I’m talking about coaching for individuals and teams, assessments for emotional intelligence and team development, mentoring, consulting, and training, which focuses primarily on developing and using soft skills. Our clients also believe in the value of these things because they’ve experienced the results.
I am amazed at how easy we have made it for people to engage with True Course services with confidence, satisfaction, and extremely low risk. Experience how the story could be yours here. Just a phone call does it, and we’ll take it from there to let you sample our services and set you up with the services you want.